Insurance for Safer Roads is a collaborative initiative looking at new levers to improve road safety from the perspective of the insurance industry, with a focus on low- and middle-income countries.
The Insurance for Safer Roads working group comprises representatives from AXA, Zurich, Nestle and the Global Road Safety Partnership who are collaborating towards positive road safety outcomes through heightened involvement of the insurance sector. The working group is a long-term initiative between the parties with two primary initial deliverables:
- Convene a first-of-its-kind workshop to look at new levers to improve road safety from the perspective of the insurance industry.
- Produce a ‘living’ research report ‘Insuring Safer Roads – A global guide to strengthen the insurance industry’s contribution to road safety‘. The report integrates the workshop’s insights and tackles the issue of data whilst building the business case for insurers to work towards safer roads.
Beyond publishing the report, the working group will sustain the collaboration and work towards identifying ways to:
- Expand the scope of the working group both geographically and in membership.
- Continually promote and update the ‘living’ report document and knowledge base.
- Build the profile of the role of the insurance industry within the road safety community.
- Build the profile of road safety within the insurance sector.
- Develop and disseminate good practice case studies of insurers in road safety in line with the recommendations of the report.
We will communicate with our growing community about upcoming events, resources and case studies from the insurance sector generated and inspired by the outputs of the Working Group.
At the workshop, co-hosted by the working group with support of eDriving, 80 participants from various institutions and a wide geographic scope gathered to explore opportunities coming from new technologies and responsible use of data. The purpose was to help insurers, public authorities and civil societies contribute to safer roads.
Gaëlle Olivier (AXA), Margie Peden (WHO) and Soames Job (World Bank) opened the event with keynote speeches stressing the urgency of the topic and the critical role insurers can play in road safety worldwide.
This powerful opening also featured a message from Jean Todt and an engaging panel discussion hosted by the GRSP. Following were 3 parallel workshops sharing best practice on:
- Innovation in road safety education
- Embedding road safety in products and services
- Public-Private partnerships
The inputs of participants and presenters were collected and the next phase following the workshop is the creation of the research report.
The research report, “Insuring Safer Roads – A global guide to strengthen the insurance industry’s contribution to road safety” is a key output of the Insurance for Safer Roads initiative. The report integrates the workshop’s insights, tackles the issue of data and builds the business case for insurers to work towards safer roads through investigation of 4 primary themes:
- Detailing the scope and nature of the road safety problem worldwide and the role of the insurance sector in collision prevention.
- Defining the business case for why collision prevention is a smart objective for the insurance sector.
- Identifying how the insurance sector can help prevent collisions.
- Exploring the emerging technologies and trends in society which will help prevent collisions in the future.
The report will remain a “living document” through continuous updates within GRSP´s resource centre and will serve as a basis for future discussions about insurance and road safety at international public events.