20th of June 2017 marked the official launch of the Michelin Road Safety Youth Ambassadors Programme in Bela Bela, Limpopo Province in South Africa. The programme, funded by the Michelin Corporate Foundation, has an aim to involve the local youth in addressing road safety issues in their communities, through spreading new skills and knowledge learned at the trainings to be provided by GRSP and YOURS.
During the launch event, agreements were signed by the stakeholders and the programme was formally approved by the South African National Department of Transport. More than 80 participants attended the launch including:
- Anneque Moloisi, District Director at the Waterberg District Limpopo DOT
- Gaganjot Singh, the Commercial Director of Michelin Tyre Company South Africa
- Pieter Venter, GRSP Africa Adviser
- Jeffrey Mashoeur, Chairperson at the Youth
- Philippe Verneuil, Africa, India, Middle East President at the Michelin Corporate Foundation
- ZGG Mkhabele, Director at the Road Safety, Limpopo DOT
- Whitey Maphakela, Chief Director at the Road Transport
- Hlobistte Ngcongo, Programme Director
The programme will then be presented to the new Minister of Transport in South Africa and the first training was conducted.