VIA is designed as a modular, flexible, accessible and easily replicable programme for child road safety education to be implemented anywhere in the world.
The programme is built on internationally recognized child road safety education best practices, which drew from the experience of road safety practitioners from a breadth of industries and from the knowledge of the global GRSP Expert Team.
VIA has been developed as an easy to integrate programme that can be implemented in lieu of road safety progammes in schools, or can easily complement current road safety curricula in schools avoiding the risk of duplication.
VIA was successfully piloted in three countries—France, Cameroon and India—in early 2019. Building on these experiences, the GRSP launched a global rollout in collaboration with Total and Michelin’s in-country affiliates.
VIA is supported by:
Countries deploying VIA
Young people engaged
Teaching hours with children
What’s the aim of the programme?
VIA aims to educate children and adolescents to road safety best practices in order to contribute to a reduction in death and injury from road crashes.
How does the programme work?
The road safety education methodology aims to develop the following four key-competencies:
- Risk competence: Learning to estimate potential risks in traffic, acting and reacting in a safe manner to minimize road safety risks.
- Safe Mobility competence: Learning and understanding traffic rules as well as gaining practical skills to become a responsible and safe road user.
- Transportation skills: Learning to safely handle and use various means of transport (feet, bicycle, public transport, etc.) in traffic.
- Social competence: Learning to behave attentively and to consider others whilst on the road; learning to communicate with others in traffic.
What are the programme objectives?
- Learn about risky behaviour on the road
- Learn how to avoid accidents
- Become aware of the connection between safe behaviour on streets/ roads and the protection of one’s own life.
- Produce creative road safety messages and action plans with the aim of implementing road safety measures for school routes and environments, neighborhoods, etc.