People attending the Global Road Safety Partnership Annual Meeting in Spa, Belgium will see and hear first-hand how lives can be saved when the public, private and civil-society sectors work together to reduce road-crash death and injury. Being held from 1-2 June during Renault’s 2012 World Series auto event, the GRSP annual meeting is being hosted by Renault, one of its leading global partners at Hotel de la Source, Route du Circuit 22, B-4970 Francorchamps, and will include the following:
During the event, GRSP will host two, 1.5-hour, open sessions where its leading partners, advisors and staff from around the world will present and discuss the results of their partnership efforts. Among the presentations:
- How the UN Decade of Action for Road Safety has energized road safety actions based on partnership between sectors,
- How numerous cities in Brazil have reduced in death and injury,
- How GRSP teams are involved in shaping legislation, enhacing education and enforcment, and creating new partnership efforts in Cambodia,
- How speed management and capacity building projects in China are changing road behaviour and saving lives,
- How Viet Nam is engaging in a broad and ambitious campaign against drinking and driving,
- How more and more Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies are taking action to prevent road crashes,
- How a GRSP Partnership in Poland significantly reduced death and injury rates,
- How key, private-sector leaders, such as Renault, have applied corporate responsibility to join road-safety partnerships actions, and much more from many of the 35 countries where GRSP is engaged.
Road Safety Village
During the event, GRSP will also be featured prominently in Renault’s Road Safety Village, where it will team up with the Slovenian road-safety NGO, Zavod Varna Pot, on a display focusing on child safety. Some 100,000 people attending the event will walk past the display, which will feature a variety of activities for parents and children:
- A “be careful, be seen” tent in which children will see for themselves why it’s important to wear visible reflective clothing;
- “Impact scales” that show the effect of speed on the human body;
- Demonstration on how to use a child restraint correctly and an arts corner, among other things.
(GRSP is working with Zavod Varna Pot within the scope of Europe’s Save Our Lives project while Zavod also works with Renault in Slovenia on various road safety activities).
European Union road-safety panel
During the annual meeting, GRSP and the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) are sponsoring a panel discussion, which focuses on the role of the European Union as a key driver in global road safety. The unique panel will consist of Parliamentarians, road-safety practitioners, corporate leaders and humanitarian actors. Questions will include: how does the EU view its role in reducing road crashes and injuries in low- and middle-income countries? What are the EU’s priorities in international road safety? To register for the event, please contact: Elena Gil at email@example.com
Due to heavy demand for accommodation in Spa that week GRSP strongly recommends you book your hotel in advance. GRSP can provide suggestions for accommodation. For this and other information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org